The History of the Presidio Golf & Concordia Club
During the days of the Barbary Coast, San Francisco had a well-earned reputation for being a rough and tumble city. In an effort to be insulated from the unruliness and enjoy a certain level of societal decorum, many citizens of the city banded together to form private clubs. By the 1890’s more than 200 social clubs and benevolent societies had been established.
In 1864, Levi Strauss and some of his young German American Jewish friends formed the Concordia Society which later moved into a newly constructed, Victorian style clubhouse on Van Ness Avenue in 1891. That structure was destroyed in the 1906 earthquake, and a beautiful new Beaux-Arts style building was completed three years later in 1894, complete with library, bar, pool and, later, regulation-size basketball court. Years later, in 1939 they had one more transition and merged with another club and became known as the Concordia-Argonaut Club.
In 1895, a group of civilians passionate about the newly popular game of golf were granted permission by the US Army to build a golf course on Fort Winfield Scott in the Presidio. The members built a Tudor style Clubhouse on land directly adjacent to the base which was later purchased by the newly formed Presidio Golf Club in 1905.
Over the years, both Clubs enjoyed storied histories with traditions of sportsmanship, fine dining and comradery. The Concordia Club was well known for its fine dining, athletic endeavors and support of the Jewish community in San Francisco. In 1939 they merged with another club and became known as the Concordia-Argonaut Club. The Presidio Golf Club enjoyed fine competition with top golfers throughout the bay area and was home to Lawson Little, winner of both the British and American amateur championships and famed baseball player Joe DiMaggio.
In 2015, the Concordia Club received an outstanding offer for the purchase of their clubhouse and decided to look for a new home. After scouting locations, a decision was made to merge with the Presidio Golf Club and renovate the clubhouse.
In 2016, The Presidio Golf & Concordia Club opened its doors to members of the newly merged Concordia- Argonaut and Presidio Golf Club. The members look forward to enjoying a state of the art fitness center, all new men’s and women’s locker rooms complete with steam, sauna and Jacuzzi facilities, refreshed main areas and the completion of a library of the upper floor of the building which are to be completed in the fall of 2017.
The Presidio Golf and Concordia Club is indeed a blending of 2 venerable San Francisco clubs, both rich in history and tradition. The merger is a wonderful opportunity for new generations of San Franciscan’s to be part of a legacy in the City by the Bay.
For more information about the Presidio including photographs, videos and commentary, follow the link below. Editors note: some images included are of Lincoln Park. http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Historical-San-Francisco-Presidio-photos-from-the-11036193.php